"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Thursday, 23 July 2009

A Database I Don't Object To


This is quite a well-written piece with lots of extra info: Mediaeval Soldier Database: Agincourt names online and here's a direct link to the database itself: Mediaeval Soldier Database


WESTMORELAND. O that we now had here
But one ten thousand of those men in England
That do no work to-day!

KING. What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.


UPDATE: 25th October is St Crispin's Day; perhaps that should be our new national bank holiday? Surely you remember Brown's brilliant idea of having a day where we can all come to together to celebrate 'British Vahl-yews'?

6 comments:

  1. One of my relatives traced my paternal side back to the Doomsday Book. His surname (my maiden name) occurs 22 times in the above database.

    Mostly Archers, ah well, you can't have everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a tenacious relative you've got there! Nothing wrong with being an Archer either - so long as you've still got the two fingers that count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about this on the car radio news the other evening GV. Couldn't remember the site name though, so a big thank you as someone is keen to see if ancestors were involved. They were always around if their fighting skills were well rewarded financially and I also heard that they were paid even though sick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mediaeval Soldier Database

    There's the direct link for you SR (if I've formatted it correctly). Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he spent a couple of years doing it...patience that I don't have, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about your fingers? You'll need them if you ever come back.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails