"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Monday, 10 August 2009

#culturewarstheculture

My contribution to #culturewarstheculture Day; click the links for more info.

Bunty


Finding this:


Yorkshire weekends:


'Aptick':


Barbara Hepworth: 'Sculpture to me is primitive, religious, passionate and magical - always affirmative.'


Alan Bennett: “We started off trying to set up a small anarchist community, but people wouldn't obey the rules.”



Shakespeare:
"If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
That strain again! it had a dying fall:
O, it came o'er my ear like the sweet sound
That breathes upon a bank of violets,
Stealing and giving odour!"
Poetry: too much to list - this is one of the first:
"Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
This City now doth, like a garment, wear
The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.
Never did sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour, valley, rock, or hill;
Ne'er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!
The river glideth at his own sweet will:
Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still."

English Literature: likewise, but one of the first must be: "Heaven above was blue, and earth beneath was green; the river glistened like a path of diamonds in the sun; the birds poured forth their songs from the shady trees; the lark soared high above the waving corn; and the deep buzz of insects filled the air." Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens.

More Yorkshire weekends:



which gave me

Then I saw Brief Encounter:


where I met 'Rach 3':

and: Noel Coward

9 comments:

  1. Was more of a Victor man masel, although I occasionally peeked at my sister's Bunty...
    ...Ok, I fancied Mary Simpson, I admit it.

    Hmm "Occasionally peeked at my sister's Bunty" didn't come out too well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe not, but it made me laugh - it doesn't work too well with my brother's Eagle though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gentlemen, gentlemen!
    However did we miss posting about the smutty British sense of humour today?...

    That Zulu final attack: it's my post-pub YouTube fave. Mrs. Northwester just doesn't bother talking about supper till Men of Harlech fades away.

    And again with the Wordsworth, GV, I'm going to have to start reading it again. Damn! There go my innocent weekends reading chick-lit supernatural romance.

    This is really, really fab GV: a feast of Britishness and Westernness large and small - and I mean that even coming from a pianophobic vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing small about my mum's Yorkshire Puddings NNW. Talking of smutty British soh - you've just put me in mind of lurking around the card stands at the seaside, pretending not to look at the Bamforth postcards. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some real culture there!

    Zulu - one of the best war films ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After a few drinks (especially at Christmas) it's alwys a joy to sing a song while watching the wogs being slaughtered by Tommy in a 1960's classic.

    Sadly the whole thing was engineered, not by the British Government if I recall but some git like Rhodes who saw the Zulus as a threat to British hegemony in the region and the route from Capetown to Cairo.

    If we'd have just press-ganged them into the British army we could have conquered the whole World.

    Which reminds me of the old joke:

    What do you call a 6' 6" Zulu with a spear?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that is a real collection of what is good about this country. Les Kellett, remember him?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, E, I had to google him and that didn't help either. Kent Walton and Jack McManus are abt my limit - it was more a general remembrance of childhood weekends than wrestling per se.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails