"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Wednesday, 12 August 2009

Hail Mary, Full Of Grace

One family friend was quoted in the London Evening Standard as saying that the relief of being released had "unlocked reserves of strength" in Biggs.
"I'll live on just to spite those who want me dead."

Apparently on the day following news of Jack Straw's decision to release the gravely-ill armed robber, he was sitting up in bed giving an interview to a Brazilian newspaper and telling them how much he missed Brazilian beer.

'Buoyant' Biggs

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of Ernest Saunders, who became cured of Alzeimhers just after *his* compassionate release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Conan, I remember that - he's still going strong but I don't know what he's doing now. As for Biggs, I got the impression he had only days left so his rallying at such a late stage is a bit of a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comes to something when a person (me) thinks so little of politicians (like Jack Straw) that it cheers me up when some thieving toerag (e.g. Ronnie Biggs) makes a monkey of them.

    Live for ever, Biggsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I wouldn't have released him, Edgar. There's plenty more I'd like to see end their days in prison too - Chapman & Co for a start.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails