"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Tuesday, 4 August 2009

Let Me Count The Ways

I came across this on a UKIP website. In essence it says that Jacques Barrot recently called for "citizenship in the fullest sense of the word" by introducing EU birth and death certificates. I couldn't find anything about it on Barrot's ec.europa.euwebsite but perhaps I searched more in hope than in expectation.

A European Union Sonnet, abused by me from a poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning:

How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways.
I loathe thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul conjures, on having in sight
Your acts of foetid disgrace.
I loathe thee to the level of every day's
Most irksome want from jobsworth parasite.
I loathe thee freely, while men strive for right.
I loathe thee purely, while men die to praise.
I loathe thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I loathe thee with a hate I seemed to lose
With shedded tears. I loathe thee with the strife,
Smiles, tears of all my days; and, if God choose,
I pray my child be spared from EU life.

It will take more than political parties to defeat the EU; it's going to take people.

5 comments:

  1. Pah, I don't have time for all this vacillation and wishy-washy indecision! If you don't like the European Union, just come right out and say it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the European Union.

    Nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the original. I don't like the EU either but the only thing that will kill it is boots on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like the EU and want them abolished.
    Lovely poem

    ReplyDelete
  5. I despise the EU and love Europe.

    Excellent, GV.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails