"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Tuesday, 18 August 2009

The Poll Result


Last week I posted a poll on the blog - mainly, I have to say, just to see if I could do it without blasting the blog into the ether again.

It was a very simple question: "Should nations treat terrorism as a criminal act or an act of war?" It was even-stevens pretty much all the way through until a mad dash at the end and I have to admit I'm bemused by the results:
Criminal act like any other violent crime = 14
Political act of war & treated as such = 18
I didn't know I had 14 Man Utd supporters reading this blog. If any of you would like to break cover I'd like to know why you think terrorism is 'just like any other violent crime'. Personally, I think domestic terrorism amounts to treason and should be treated as such. Whichever way you voted, I appreciated it and thank you for participating; it was interesting and I might try it again some time.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe it's how people understood the question GV, "political" criminals might be exempted from some sort of disciplines e.g. not wearing prison uniforms etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks Conan, I should have been clearer then - I was thinking political - Ceauscescu style :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, GV. Thanks for the comment over at my place. I'm probably not going to be blogging myself again: It already takes far too much of my time keeping up with others' blogs! Anyway, ...

    I voted with the (apparently) 13 Man Utd supporters. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a 'political' crime, there is just crime. either you are breaking the law, or you are not. I suspect that most 'freedom fighters' are adventurers who use the cause as a means of finding a dangerous excitement. Likewise, the leaders of the cause (who are rarely exposed to danger and who usually end up negotiating themselves political jobs, while wiping the blood off their hands), those leaders distort the beliefs in idealistic young minds to the extent that people are prepared to die for an idea that would never have been any benefit to them or their families! The IRA bullshit is the prime example of this kind of crap.

    Whatever the motivation may be, it is unjust to treat one person differently from another in law. The only possible exception that I can think of to this is indisputable mental illness. The statue at the Old Bailey (I think) has Justice wearing a blindfold, and that is how it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then it must come down to what the suspects are charged with? If, eg, the 7/7 bombers had been charged with treason and found guilty they would have been jailed for life with no chance of release. The difference is in the application of the sentencing guidelines.

    You're very welcome to post here if you don't want a fulltime blog - just drop me an email and I can add you to the dashboard thingy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails