"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Monday, 24 August 2009

Spot The Deliberate Mistake

Actually, it isn't a mistake - no-one puts out a poster like this without first thinking very carefully about every aspect of the wording.


They're fine words from Cameron but isn't there just a touch of paranoia about them?

I don't fear my government; I think it's corrupt, negligent of the people, bullying and a host of other descriptions. But if push comes to shove, I won't be quaking in a corner. In common with thousands of other ordinary people, I don't fear them; I despise them.
UPDATE: Thanks to Fausty for pointing out that I should have discriminated between fear of a government and fear of the technology that governments might use. Anyone who's read this blog from the beginning and followed its links (likewise Fausty's and others) will know some of what a government is capable of doing. My fault for not explaining myself more clearly, though the fact remains that you can't fight effectively against something you're scared of.

8 comments:

  1. I fear the government in the sense that they are selling us out, bit by bit. Should they be allowed to continue, we will have tyranny as existed in the USSR. Possibly worse, as technology makes control so much easier.

    RFID - i.e., the "internet of things" is the next control gambit, which we should all fear - and fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I didn't draw a distinction between being fearful of what they can do and fearing the govt itself - perhaps I should have but there's plenty on this blog and others (incl. yours) that show what we should be fearful of, including RFID, implants and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - How come you're not a 'Kindred Spirit' yet, Fausty?

    ReplyDelete
  4. GV, I thought I was a kindred spirit! A few weeks ago, Google c*nted up my memberships - will now rectify!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you ought to fear characters who use the phrase 'It is the right thing to do' as often as Brown and Balls do. They have the same mentality as those who believe they have a hotline to God and if you disagree with them, then - according to them - the worst that can happen to you is all you deserve. It is a mental illness, one that compels people to seek out ways to 'convert' others, not by argument and persuasion, but by rule of law and punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed Edgar - religious /political fundamentalism etc have a great deal in common.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got nothing to add, really, GV, other than to say that I think Fausty and Edgar have pretty much accurately covered the things that I fear our "government", (for want of a better word), are capable of!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for dropping in to say you've got nothing to say Spider! (That's not like you). The problem really is that we're all like-minded - blogging's getting a bit incestuous these days.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails