"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Sunday, 13 September 2009

Blair's Election Speech

I'm still rescuing pages from IE.  This was Tony Blair's election speech:
'"This is our contract with the people:
I believe in Britain. It is a great country with a great history. The British people are a great people. But I believe Britain can and must be better: better schools, better hospitals, better ways of tackling crime, of building a modern welfare state, of equipping ourselves for a new world economy
I want a Britain that is one nation, with shared values and purpose, where merit comes before privilege, run for the many not the few, strong and sure of itself at home and abroad.
I want a Britain that does not shuffle into the new millennium afraid of the future, but strides into it with confidence
I want to renew our country's faith in the ability of its government and politics to deliver this new Britain. I want to do it by making a limited set of important promises and achieving them. This is the purpose of the bond of trust I set out at the end of this introduction, in which ten specific commitments are put before you. Hold us to them. They are our covenant with you
I want to renew faith in politics by being honest about the last 18 years. Some things the Conservatives got right. We will not change them. It is where they got things wrong that we will make change. We have no intention or desire to replace one set of dogmas by another
I want to renew faith in politics through a government that will govern in the interest of the many, the broad majority of people who work hard, play by the rules, pay their dues and feel let down by a political system that gives the breaks to the few, to an elite at the top increasingly out of touch with the rest of us
And I want, above all, to govern in a way that brings our country together, that unites our nation in facing the tough and dangerous challenges of the new economy and changed society in which we must live. I want a Britain which we all feel part of, in whose future we all have a stake, in which what I want for my own children I want for yours."
Do you still believe?

2 comments:

  1. I want, I want, I want....arrogant little prick. It's not about what he wants, not that he ever really wanted anything except money and power - and he misused both of them as soon as he got his claws on them.

    If he really fancies himself as a christ-figure, I'm happy to oblige nails and a hammer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure plenty of people would like to chip in WoaR. This vacuous claptrap could have been said by any UK politician aspiring to be PM - a stream of platitudinous rhetoric intended to appeal to the masses. Blair has all the attributes to be world leader: no substance, no sincerity but plenty of messianic posing and 'I'm a straight kinda guy' charm.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails