"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Saturday, 5 September 2009

It's A Sick, Sick World

However, what goes round, comes round.  Good.
"Dolphin meat is full of toxic mercury, cadmium, DDT and carcinogens such as dioxins and PCBs. Some cuts of dolphin meat have more than 5,000 times the safe level of mercury. Such levels can very quickly lead to severe nervous system problems and even insanity.

"The dolphin meat is so toxic because the seas around Japan have become a soup of industrial wastes. These poisons become concentrated in fish, which the dolphins then eat. And when the Japanese eat the dolphins, they progressively poison themselves."

7 comments:

  1. IMHO, GV, there is no such thing as barbarism. There is the ability to turn a blind eye, to make something not matter. Humans seem to have this ability - indeed, it is arguable that we probably couldn't survive without it.

    When we have differing sets of 'blocked out' customs compared to another culture, that's when we see the others as barbaric. I couldn't eat dolphin, but I will eat duck until the cows come home. Then I will eat the cows.

    It's not only food, though. The reality behind many things is very shocking, so shocking that the great majority of people just do not want to know at all. 'Block it out.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disgusting habits some people have. Good tune BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. scunnert! Can I just mention one wee wordie to you. Haggis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good points, Edgar.

    Blimey, I grow my own veg ... do I now need to grow my own seafood?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did any of you click the link to read the article?
    Cohen has written some incredibly beautiful and moving songs Scunnert - this one was based, I think, on a Hebrew prayer - glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I read it. Did I miss something?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, not really Fausty - it's just me being the wrong way out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails