"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Sunday, 27 September 2009

Nothing From Cameron


I would have preferred a swift rejection of Mandelson's proposal but all we have is:
"The Tories yesterday did not rule out making an offer to Mandelson. "We are building a broad coalition but including Peter Mandelson may be stretching it,” said a Tory source."
 Baron Mandelson of Foy and Hartlepool, first secretary of state, secretary of state for business, innovation and skills, president of the Board of Trade, lord president of the council. He is also Prince of Darkness, Master of the Spin, and founder of the Grand Order of Despicable B@st@rds.

 I'd like to know who else may be thinking of 'offering their services' to any Conservative government before I commit my vote.  If the Conservatives take on board almost any Labour MP with the exception of the likes of Gisela Stuart (but that's an unlikely scenario) my vote will go elsewhere. To me there is little difference between the politician who, after 13yrs of backing an unprincipled, disreputable, authoritarian & corrupt government, decides to cross the floor when he/she sees which way the wind blows and the Party which welcomes them at the cost of diluting and blurring their own integrity.

In normal circumstances crossing the floor comes after months of soul-searching and a fundamental change of political heart but I see no evidence of that here.

Cameron: don't do deals with the devil!  Leave them to wander in the wilderness to which the British electorate will exile them at the General Election.  We don't want them.

8 comments:

  1. GV
    An excellent post you have penned above, however your synopsis about Mandelson being left to wander the political wildersness has one slight mistake to it .. he was never elected by anyone in the first place !

    Never the less I acknowledge it was a soul searching post you authoured .

    ps .. Regarding The Grand Order of Despicable Bast'rds - I love it !

    TBD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, this chapter seems to already have been written.

    Mandy's timing is impeccable as ever, said just before the conference. Deliberately so, and he knows it. A few grudges of his own that have emerged against the Labour leadership? I think it's more of a petty revenge against Harman for stealing his limelight in Brighton, to brag about his survivability while she and the party she represents isn't looking at so rosy a future anymore, no pun intended.

    Ah politics. What a toxic nuclear dump it has become. The sooner Labour are gone, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words Big D - alas searching my soul didn't come into it since it was written in rapid fury. My comment about the electorate was in connection with rumours about Labour MPs considering their positions and wondering whether to cross the floor, not Mandelson himself. The unelected b@st@rd is in the Lords for as long as he wants and there's nothing we can do about it.

    VotR - I'm looking fwd to Conference even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GV
    Having now read your reply -it would indeed appear I misunderstood your point of view - it does not detract however that Mandelson is one devious b@st@rd when it comes to the shady world of politics.

    regards
    TBD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, but you've written a whole article based on your misinterpretation of my point of view. I haven't come across this sort of thing before - isn't there some form of 'netiquette' whereby bloggers don't blog about other bloggers?

    There's no problem with taking a post and extending it in order to add to the knowledge but I'm not comfortable with the way you've discussed me personally, especially given that it's built on a false premise. Sorry, but there it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GV
    It was never my intention to misrepresent you in any shape nor form .. I just got it wrong .. totally wrong -- please accept my unreserved apology - the post in question has been deleted from my blog .

    regards
    TBD
    TBD

    ReplyDelete
  7. If Cameron takes on this political whore, we're all stuffed even quicker than we thought, GV!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate that BigD - thank you.

    Spider, I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails