"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Tuesday, 15 September 2009

A Quickie On Brown's TUC Speech

Oh boy!  Why I ever thought it was a good idea to record it, I don't know.  Mercifully, it was quite short.  Here are a few adjectives to describe it and its reception: lacklustre; sporadic; desultory; sprinkling; cool.  Here are a few of his main points:  opponents; Tories; paternity leave; NHS; cleaners; minimum wage; legislate; equal rights; guarantees; neighbourhood policing; communities; all our people; basic rights ; progressive; global; right choices; vahl-yews ... ... plus lots of finger-steepling, hand clawing for emphasis.  He even talked about facing 'huge constraints' in 1997 'to get the debt down'.  What f@cking debt??  Liar, liar, hair on fire.

I'm sure someone else will provide a better summary.  I don't know; I just looked at the man and saw lots of dandruff on his shoulders and a badly knotted tie.
UPDATE: Some reaction from Conference attendees:
John McDonnell MP, Chairman of the Campaign Group of Labour MPs: Disappointing; really worrying.
Billy Hayes, Communication Workers Union: won't play well to the Trade Unions; low-key & unclear.
Bob Crow, Rail & Maritime Trade Union: devastating for the working people; unnecessary projects to be cancelled - why were they necessary in the 1st place; low priority projects to be cancelled - what's a low priority project.

So, that's a no then.

UPDATE 2: From the  The Daily Politics

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure someone else will provide a better summary - I don't know; I just looked at the man and saw lots of dandruff on his shoulders and a badly knotted tie.
    I saw a despot in his last days in power, his bitten finger nails and grubby pinkies. What does he do to never wash his hands? Ugh, Prime Minister of The United Kingdom, such shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've summed it up perfectly.

    It was pure agony to watch. I had to hide behind the sofa.

    Even with the massive amounts of drugs that he's on, he still comes across as a dysfunctional and jittery moron.

    His days are finally numbered I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, OR - I bet he doesn't wash his hands after he's been to the loo and then goes and fingers the peanuts in the bowl on the bar.
    One thing I've been wondering Gigits, is, if he's ill, on strong medication and so on, how on earth can he hope for a job with the IMF or EU after standing down?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gigits, even with the massive amount of drugs I'm on, he still comes across as a dysfunctional and jittery moron.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Sarah to save his arse this time?

    Can I just say I was reading 'FA charges Adebayor' over and over rather than listen to him - great leader indeed

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails