"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Saturday, 24 October 2009

Watersheds

I'm sick of reading the papers, listening to the radio, hearing the news and trying to discern truth from fiction. From now on we'd all be better off assuming that everything is a distortion of the truth until proved otherwise. So, having switched off from the media hype about Nick Griffin which, despite the best efforts of our not-so-esteemed 4th Estate, is going down like a lead balloon with online commenters as people struggle to find their voice at last, I thought I'd do some in-house tidying because the blog's getting too unwieldy.  Adding the links-within feature has meant that more people read more posts instead of just the one linked to but it comes at the price of being slower to load.

I tend to put links to blogs I like and read in the sidebar regardless of whether they link here or not - it seems fair policy to me and gives others the chance to read something they might not otherwise have caught.  Unfortunately, there's still an awful lot of blogs I read that I don't link to for reasons of space/loading time plus I don't like the Blogger choices for display (like the American/Canadian/Aussie/NZ list which only gives a choice between alphabetical or not).  In case I go missing while I'm messing about I've backed up the blog again - something I'd recommend everyone to do every day now in any event.

Here are some links to blogs, polls, articles:

Freedom2Choose who've discovered trial runs for banning smoking in your own home.
Everyone's favourite foul-mouthed clown (in the sidebar already)has a link to this poll on climate change which isn't going the way it was planned.
Dazed & Confused (sidebar) pointed me to this article about bien-pensants, Mrs Jellybys & other misguided souls.
The media-manufactured row rumbles on  My dad's bigger than your dad.  Who's got the  definitive transcript of Griffin on QT saying his father was 'a pilot' in the RAF?  Probably the Daily Politics (sidebar).
The Peace Pledge Union, of which Straw's 2nd-generation immigrant parents were members:
The PPU supported appeasement and backed Neville Chamberlain's policy at Munich in 1938, regarding Hitler's claims on the Sudetenland as legitimate. Some PPU supporters were so sympathetic to the grievances of Nazi Germany that one sceptical member found it difficult to distinguish between letters to Peace News and those in the newspaper of the British Union of Fascists.[1] The historian Martin Gilbert has argued that "it is hard to think of a British newspaper that was so consistent an apologist for nazi Germany as Peace News"[2]
Phekkwitz Ahoy sets out the criteria for a Rigorous Voting Policy which we'd all do well to bear in mind come the next Election.
Ecomentalists give a whole new meaning to the words 'Chow' & 'puppy love'
And, finally, Dissident & defector, Yuri Bezmenov, has a series of 8 videos on the manipulation of the press which neatly takes me back to my para.1.

See you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails