"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Sunday, 4 October 2009

Quibbling With Cameron

It's just a small point but it's stuck in my head. This morning on the Andrew Marr programme:
Marr: ...once it's ratified, what then? And I put it to you that you're not answering because you don't know what to do.
Cameron: ...a very good reason... I don't want to say anything or do anything now that will undermine or prejudice what is happening in other countries where they're still debating whether to ratify this treaty...sensible thing to do... as I said, I don't want to undermine or prejudice those people elsewhere in Europe who are currently debating...
Marr: (interrupting) I don't understand this.
I don't understand it either. If Lisbon can be debated in Germany, Ireland, Czech Republic & Poland at the same time (as it was), where's the harm if Britain debates it as well?  It's a spurious and lame excuse if ever I heard one. DC needs to up his game.

What he said is a far cry from: "I will give this cast-iron guarantee: If I become PM a Conservative government will hold a referendum on any EU treaty that emerges from these negotiations."

Much more was said about 'Europe' so I'll post the video if it turns up on YouTube.
UPDATE:  Here it is:




2 comments:

  1. Cameron wants to avoid aggravating a split in the Party over Europe. That's it. Nothing more. And Marr hit the button: Cameron hasn't a clue what he is going to do about Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there was the distinct whiff of burning waffle about his statements

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails