"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Friday, 13 November 2009

Thank You BFI

I'm still suffering from the after-effects of the lurgi - at first I thought it was just an extreme reaction to the Czechs ratifying the Lisbon Treaty but it seems it was just a common or garden vomiting bug instead (how was I to know the difference?)

One of my boys emailed me this YouTube link and I thought it could be interesting for history lovers. It's a silent film and there's no backing music so you can choose your own.  Eighty-two years ago London was the final stop in a marathon journey around Britain filmed in early colour as a series of cinema travelogues. I find the wording of the captions as fascinating as the scenes they describe, innit m8?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for that Vienna it was absolutely fascinating for me, a history buff of ridiculous proportions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it 13th - I loved it too and the restoration work was absolute quality. It was wonderful to see the Thames, a real working river - and Petticoat Lane so packed with people. If there are any more available I'll post them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails