"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Saturday, 26 December 2009

What I Did On My Holidays #1

By GV, aged 21 (again)
Class:  Could do better.


After a Christmas Day with lots of carols, food and phone calls this year’s Boxing Day is rather strange but I can’t put my finger on why. Instead of being locked up for rushing out into the street, shaking my fists heavenward in frustration and telling the world to eff off (I told you it was a weird feeling) I thought I’d come and vent my frustration here. You’ve been warned – not because of any bad language but because you may find it self-indulgently tedious.  Guess what?

Yesterday started well; Christmas is a feeling and a smell as well as a family occasion and a religious event. The feeling was inside and, if I closed my eyes, the smell was there too. The radio was good and the Carol Service from St Ormond’s Street Children’s Hospital (on LBC) was fantastic. First indication of a problem was when I started to sing along as I shoved the old bird in the oven: I could barely complete a line, let alone a verse. My throat strangled my voice and my eyes welled up out of the blue – for no apparent reason at all. It was a happy, peaceful morning (and I smelled delicious, having showered in Shalimar), I’d avoided Sky/BBC News and everything was quite jolly; Jazz & Suki were purring round my feet in anticipation of the aroma emanating from the kitchen and all was well.  So what the heck's going on with the singing?

It's not just that though; I seem to have morphed into a real Weepy Winnie lately.  When I read the papers online or listen to it on the tv I just choke sometimes.  I weep for the missing children, the fallen soldiers, the lost England, the lies and the betrayal.  It's like having constant pms or being pregnant (nope!)  - I think mums will remember the feeling of hormones being all over the place and weeping for the sins of the world - please don't say it was just me!

It has to be said that the weather doesn’t help: it’s been raining stair rods all week, the skies have been dark and the thunderstorms spectacular – yesterday was no different and it must have blown the Sky box except I didn’t find out until I wanted to watch the programmes I’d recorded – ‘failed’.   The router was decidedly dodgy too and took ages to right itself after the power was re-connected. I struggled for a good hour or two to fix the Sky problem: on, off, leave it alone, on, disconnect, press the buttons, hold your breath, swear, but every time it sprang into life another black cloud would knock it out and I’d have to start all over again. The router was fine in the end for which I’m grateful since I’d be lost without it because I use it to speak to my boys in England and the digibox is behaving better today, though Sky News is one of the few programmes I can receive with minimum disruption.

So, those are essentially the feelings from Christmas Day; not bad necessarily; just sod’s law.

However, Boxing Day is definitely a different kettle of fish and #2 follows shortly.

7 comments:

  1. GV,

    I can echo all that. Probably you having those feelings because, like me, 'you getting on a bit'?

    Never mind 'shaking your fist' - how about we have a bloody good revolution? You know, lots of firing off AK47s in the air and stringing up politicians?

    I am sure we would feel quite good after that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I may or may not be 'getting on a bit' Mr Witterings. What matters is in my heart - where can I find an AK47?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah GV, let me take you by the hand.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and lead me through the Streets of London? I've been there Mr Witterings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. London? No thank you, everytime I arrive in London I can't wait to leave! No actually I referring to your wish to acquire an AK47!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails