"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Saturday, 26 December 2009

What I Did On My Holidays #2

By GV aged 21 (still)
Class: Must try harder
Language: Unacceptable


I awoke this morning to another awesome thunderstorm, more pelting rain and the news that some Nigerian screwball, Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab, an Engineering graduate at University College London, had tried to blow up a plane en route to America. I switched on Sky News but there was no mention of him studying in London. It was actually almost half past twelve before this British link was mentioned on tv news. Is there any wonder we can’t trust their lacklustre reporting? All I can say is thank goodness the Americans have him because if this had happened in British jurisdiction it doesn’t bear thinking about. The footage of Sky interviews with passengers on the flight doesn’t need words to describe their experience; you can see it in their eyes. Thank goodness so many extremists are thick b@st@rds who couldn’t take out the lights in a slaughterhouse.

The one that really made my blood boil was news of a renewed campaign backed by that well-known vegetarian MP, Secretary of the Environment, Hilary Benn, plus various no-cereb-slebs. Aw, shame = good; yah, boo = bad. Tony Robinson, Jenny Seagrove, Patrick Stewart et al: please stfu & stick to acting.  What next? No fish and chips?

I doubt I'm the only one who feels that ‘celebrities’ should butt out of politics and mind their own business rather than trying to influence government. I set out my thoughts on this when I started the blog and I haven’t changed my mind. Veggies should remember that the livelihood and well-being of human beings must take precedence. I was a vegetarian for years so old habits die hard but I have to say to Benn & Co, it ain’t gonna happen guys, not in this lifetime.  Cameron's calling for a free vote and I hope he gets it.

Unsurprisingly, I disliked the ads as well. I’ve always f-fwd through them if I've had to because they’re just not relevant but I suffered some yesterday and earlier today thanks to the storms. If I have to listen to another ad from govt-sponsored Gloria Hunniford telling me to buy more Benecol because the "European Commission" says it’s beneficial and therefore "there’s no debate” I’ll throw LBC out of the window. Another sad voice-over ad is from the WWF about dying polar bears. I know times are hard for media corps (*ahem, cough, splutter*) but is government propaganda a suitable substitute for good, honest reporting? WTF happened to ethics? Bombarded day and night by govt messages!    Perhaps if the tv media reported honestly they'd have more advertisers willing to sign up.

Has anyone else noticed how references to the EU have increased since the Czechs signed the Lisbon Treaty? Even the BBC, sly pocketeer of grants and loans, mentions them now.  More radio/tv ads mentioning the EC are coming our way.  Slowly-slowly and all that...

2 comments:

  1. Don't have a telly so avoid most of the govts pathetic 1970s style propaganda and swicth stations the moment they start on the radio.I know times are hard for independent radio but the sooner they wake up to that the more listeners they might keep.

    What is wrong with Alkeyedi that they can only recruit lunatics? Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab sounds no more competent than the chap who tried to blow up Exeter last year? He chose the one cafe that attracts the local effnicks ( from the University) and only managed to blow his own hands up in the ladies bogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the part in the Benecol ad that asserts "there's no debate" because the EC has said it's ok that annoys me, Banned. Too dictatorial for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails