"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Thursday, 28 January 2010

Bloggers Bollox Barmpots







That's right, Raj, think about what you did.
Bloggers, eh?
Individually, we whisper. When we unite, we roar.
Andrew Neil wrote a wonderful piece a couple of days ago.  He talks about the power of the bloggers to shift public thinking and I have witnessed this first-hand on a range of issues so I know he is right on the money.
Between us, we destroyed a myth. Like terriers with a bone, we wouldn't let go. We have to keep doing this. We have to hold them to account for the bile they vomit out on a largely unsuspecting and uncritical audience. No longer will we tolerate the "appeal to higher learning". Although in this case, Pachauri, bless 'im, is an ex-railway engineer. Back in the day, if a doctor or scientist said a thing, our belief was instant. No more. If they tell you that rain falls from the sky, double-check. Question everything, and believe no-one. Better yet, follow the money. That will tell you all you need to know about the scare de jour.
Do read the whole thing, but in the meantime, just to whet your appetite:
"The bloggers, too easily dismissed in the past, have set the pace with some real scoops -- and some of the mainstream media is now rushing to catch up.
The sceptics may be about to get their first scalp. Rajendra Pachauri, the IPCC chairman often wrongly described in the media as the world's leading climate scientist (he's actually a railway engineer), at first attacked those who questioned the IPCC's alarming glacier prediction as "arrogant" and believers in "voodoo science".

He's since had to retract the prediction but can't quite manage an apology -- and is now under mounting pressure in his Indian homeland to resign."
"We told you so" doesn't quite do it for me. I want ALL the money back that we wasted on these freaks. I want them all gaoled for shouting "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre.
If we don't punish them, they'll just do it again.
CR.

6 comments:

  1. "When we unite, we roar"

    I rather like that, Capn.

    You make me feel a little guilty about my questioning of some blog content via the comment pages though - I'd like to point out that I am merely trying to get the truth out, not being mischievous or owt.

    I'm not even sure I can spell mischievous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be forgetting Snotty and Gromits' "flat earthers"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marv,

    I would rather be challenged than for people to wander off muttering "Worraloadashite" under their breath.

    I censor nothing, apart from spam.

    Unlike the scientists I don't mind my "work" being scrutinised.

    I think my scrutinised beats your mischievous. (Although it would be worth less in Scrabble).

    CR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OR,

    They lie so much we tend to forget stuff sometimes. I should keep a diary!

    CR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you give me that sesquipedalian nonsense. Anyway, mine was on a triple word score.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bugger!

    I had to look up sesquipedalian.

    Long words, eh?

    "sēsquipedālis-measuring a foot and a half".

    Good one. I believe things are copacetic.

    CR.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails