"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Friday, 22 January 2010

Friday Post


I love this; it's well-written, humorous and well-observed.  What more can you ask?

Extract only:
"It was here that I spotted my old pal. I sat down at the bar, ordered a beer and, with a furtive look around the half-full bar, lit a smoke. I needn't have bothered with the furtivity (if that isn't a word, it should be), as no-one in the bar gave a damn. Within a couple of minutes, I had relaxed fully, and I felt right with the world. It has been quite some time since I felt this way. It was, I have to say, bloody fantastic. How, I wondered, can such an innocent act have become so divisive in our country? How can such a small thing have created so much noise? I watched my fellow drinkers and eaters carefully. There was no outrage. There was none of that bizarre hand-waving and false-coughing so prevalent in my own country. There was no tut-tutting swiftly followed by those judgemental sneers. The demographics in the bar mirrored real life. Around twenty people in the place and six of us were smoking.

Still people watching, I was stunned when no-one died. I was amazed that no-one keeled over. There was no real coughing (not even from us smokers) let alone the fake kind. The bar, I noted, was using some sort of wizardry to clear the smoke. On investigation, this witchcraft turned out to be something called ven tee lay shun. Incredible stuff. I don't think we can get ven tee lay shun here. If we could, we would be able to smoke in our bars too. Maybe they only allow ven tee lay shun in Europe proper. It isn't for us late-comers. Perhaps if we behave ourselves this magic will be shared with us."

The whole thing can be found at: Captain Ranty

10 comments:

  1. Check this out:

    http://scunnert-nation.blogspot.com/2010/01/butt-that-cigarette.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good Scunnert - that raised a smile! Did you go and read Captain Ranty's post? It was funny but in a different way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GV,

    You have made I blush, you has.

    Thanks for the link!

    CR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read it I was almost sitting beside you inhaling the bar fumes, CR!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't the world great when it was free?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be again, Oldrightie.

    These things are cyclic. Our day will come again.

    CR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GV,

    It would have been even more enjoyable with some company. It's a lonely business when you travel alone to strange cities.

    I chat to folk, but it isn't the same as having a pal along to share the experience with.

    CR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. True CR - you can be in the best place in the world and have a fantastic time, see wonderful things, but the pleasure is always magnified by sharing it with good company.

    OR - they were good times. I don't share CR's optimism that they'll come again but I do think there's a backlash against society as it is at the moment. It's all pendulums. We may get some semblance of normality and decency back again but it has to come from the people themselves, not government. God, I loathe Labour, their dictatorial policies and their social engineering. Brown's legislated 33 new crimes a day since he's been in office; Blair legislated 27. We've had as many new laws in the past decade as were created in the last century. They need booting out and wholesale repeal of their vile laws.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS, Captain R - pls can you email me at goodnightvienna2007@googlemail.com? I can't see your email on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails