"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Saturday, 20 March 2010

Feeling Sick Yet?

At weekends I usually like to wind back from politics and find something humorous or whimsical instead - just a little something to lighten life and lift the load. Now, I don't know whether it's just me turning into a miserable old bag and putting a depressive spin on things or whether I'm right to feel sick to my stomach at the state of England. Here's a mini-round up so you can judge for yourselves - it's only a mini because to do full posts on each of them would drive me to the sick-bucket:

This has to be numero uno: Govt benefits staff scam nearly £2m from own department.  Prosecute the b/stards.
Taxpayers' money spent on union salaries.  Grrrr.
The Armed Forces face obstacles to voting  - I've mentioned this one before, it's happened at previous elections so it isn't a one-off.  How difficult would it be to change the system?  Where there's a will, there's a way and all that.
Burnham + 15 other MPs in trouble over Dolphin Square payouts  Burnham's constituents in Leigh in Greater Manchester, you know what to do.
"The Blackburn Resistance" get a slap on the wrist The judge said: "You fancied yourself as a fighter for the cause, but the truth is you were a very low-grade one. It would be wrong to pass a long sentence on someone who is obviously more taken with the vanity than the reality."   It doesn't matter if they're laughably incompetent or not; any threat against the nation should result in a sentence of Life without parole.
100 women take Surgeon to court.  There are too many like him in the NHS: strike him off and, because the Trust is still 'learning lessons', sack them without golden parachutes, stick their contracts and cite incompetence.
One in five workers now need a licence. Is there anyone left who doesn't need a licence or to be registered on a database according to this govt?
Ed Miliband promises radical Labour election manifesto. The 'other' Miliband goes as bananas as his brother: voting age reduced to 16, raise national minimum wage, a People's Bank, free school meals for all (oh, yummy, tapioca & raspberry jam!) but nothing so far about energy, the economy or the environment.

I've searched for good news too:
Stem cells used to rebuild ten-year-old's windpipe in groundbreaking surgery
Anne Moffat (Labour, Leith) faces deselection
UKIP are getting column inches
Farmer saved by his wellies
Wake up and smell the flowers (Nice to see he also likes WH Davies' poem).
I might be back later with pics of several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a Pict but, in the meantime, will this do?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this round-up, GV. Nicely distilled.

    The news these days is barely news - it's so often media hype or party spin and distracts from what is really going on.

    But it gets right up my nose that the so-called servants of the public are living so well, while we get every kind of tax imaginable heaped on us - now, in the form of licenses.

    I hope you will join me in going on a tax strike on April 15th - 18th. I'm so fed up, I'd rather go without that feed these b@stards with more of my cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Fausty. The news these days seems to be awash with tales and stories - some true, some not. Send me your poster and I'll put it on the blog. I can't help feeling that this action should have taken place years ago and not just before an election. Unless millions also march on the streets I don't think it will make much difference but the least we can do is try. I think voting is all we have left now at this late stage.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails