"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Sunday, 7 March 2010

Frank Lloyd Wright

I always feel that Sunday isn't a day for politics so I thought I'd throw this into today's mix as well:

“Whether people are fully conscious of this or not, they actually derive countenance and sustenance from the ‘atmosphere’ of things they live in and with.” Frank Lloyd Wright
Fallingwater

                                            Ward Willits House

Richards Duplex Complex


Frank Lloyd Wright links
The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

2 comments:

  1. Fallingwater has woven in and out of my life for a while. I have a copy of "Fallingwater Rising", which is the story of Frank Lloyd Wright and the making of the building. I had planned to include it in a work of fiction; such were, I felt, the dramatic possibilities of the location. Two posters of a Wright exhibition in 1994, at MOMA, which are his drawings for Fallingwater and the Millard House, adorn my study walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't give up on the book - I might even buy a copy :-) Fallingwater is stunning in design and location - it's been one of my favourites since I was a teenager. FLW had a real feel for people and their surroundings - if we lived in a world designed by him rather than bankers and multi-nationals we'd all be a lot better off. It's the old 'Broken Windows' theory.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails