"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Thursday, 20 May 2010

I can't bring myself to join in with the general euphoria about Cameron & Clegg and I feel like a party-pooper so I'm only going to post good news or jokes for a few days, and at least until my visitors leave. The news is so damned depressing - Thailand, children killed by mothers, paedophiles, markets tanking, Facebook banned in Pakistan because someone posted a drawing of Mohammed, North Korea threatening 'all-out war', tv adverts for abortion. Cameron and Clegg seem somehow irrelevant.

However, before I start with the jokes there are two things to watch out for. Cameron's move to open up the 1922 Committee to frontbenchers mustn't be allowed to carry through. It's a strong group of backbenchers and can be useful in calling the front bench to account; allowing frontbenchers in will weaken and change it irrevocably.

The other thing is Cameron's attempt to change the leadership rules of the Conservative Party. I don't like it, not one little bit.

Add those two to the pulling back on the Human Rights Act and the UK Parliamentary Sovereignty Bill and it isn't looking too promising.

4 comments:

  1. Cheer up GV.

    You should take D&C's advice. Take yourself off ops for a while.

    After all that effort I think a great many were not ready for the betrayal as the decreased blog volumes speak of a community stunned and tired.

    I've sent you a naughty joke.

    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GV, a voice must be given, if it is to be heard. I am still euphoric at the defeat of labour and at least Cameron's not totally in power as were Bliar and Snotty. Every cloud and all that. The Conservatives will hemorrhage supporters and foot soldiers the way he's going. Such a loss broke Labours' election machine. We may yet see a full blown Liberal opposition down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Incoming - joke appreciated :-) I have to admit I'm bitterly disappointed by Cameron's latest moves - I really shouldn't be surprised.

    Yes, OR - one thing that cheers me up instantly is realising I haven't seen or heard anything from Mandelson for days - I'm being grateful for small mercies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty much the same here, GV, but I concur with D&C.

    Keep it going with anything that takes your fancy because there will come a time when this government p*sses you off royally, and you won't have a voice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails