"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Saturday, 31 July 2010

Last Night

Last night, I was listening to Iain Dale  (who was filling in for another presenter on LBC 97.3fm) and eating an avocado, black olive and chicken salad.  I had to switch off the radio before I started blubbing like a baby and re-decorating the walls.

With the greatest of respect to Iain, he doesn't have a voice for radio. Zzzzzzzzz.  Eric Pickles, Community Secretary was interviewed about localism and referenda in connection with the Council Tax but it was actually 'Peter from London' who made me reach for the tissues and the off-switch:  "We don't need referenda because we already vote for these people to do what we want so why should we do it for them?"

There was another gem a couple of nights ago too. It came from Tom Brake, the LibDem MP for Carshalton & Wallington, who said that it was "refreshing to be told what to do by the Whips because I don't have to think for myself anymore."

About Tom:
"From the age of eight years old, he lived with his family in France and attended the Lycee International in the western suburbs of Paris. Ten years later Tom returned to England to continue his education at Imperial College, London where he gained a BSc (Hons) degree in Physics. As a student he became actively involved in human rights issues. He joined Amnesty International and was chairman of the Imperial College students' group from 1981 to 1982.
After leaving University in 1983, Tom joined Hoskyns (now Cap Gemini) leaving the company as a Principal Consultant when he was elected to Parliament in 1997. He also became politically involved in 1983 when he helped William Goodhart, the Alliance Candidate in the London constituency of North Kensington, in the 1983 General Election campaign. In 1988 he became a Liberal Democrat Councillor in the London Borough of Hackney where the Labour Party had nearly 90% of the seats."
I've been angry, sad, astounded, belligerent, offended, contemptuous and a host of other adjectives in the last eighteen months of blogging, and I still am... but ...

Many thanks to Captain Ranty, Corrugated Soundbite, Grumpy Old Twat and SubRosa for keeping the blog going the last time I packed my bags and headed for home.  This time I hope I'll be luckier so, apart from the occasional post,  I'll see you on the other side of August.

I suppose I could keep you up-to-date with dealing with the Spanish authorities but I don't think it will be much fun and will probably involve lots of cash, many curses and posts entitled, "F*cking B@st@rds".

If anyone, particularly non-aligned non-bloggers, would like to try their hand at blogging, let me know: goodnightvienna2007@googlemail.com.  Old hands are also welcome and their help appreciated.

Tomorrow will be as usual - GP, round-up and reflection.

5 comments:

  1. If you dont come back the other side of August young lady I will come and haunt you - permanently!

    Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, Mr Witterings, it won't be a break. It's solicitors, officialdom, vets, removal companies, storage firms and so on. Sitting in front of a computer writing about the EU is a break which I've greatly enjoyed :-)

    btw, I've had a promise of haunting before - how will I know it's you? Red carnation under the clock at Waterloo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm GV, make sure you do come back because WFW definitely means that. It's not just because he fancies a wee trip to Spain... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right on, SR - I am a man of my word and I always deliver!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to look such an idiot if it doesn't work out! Fingers crossed :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails