"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Sunday, 4 July 2010

You Won't Hold Up The Weather

avatar: animated image: bathtub catI've lost count of the number of poets I've referenced and the music I've posted on this blog but not a snippet of Blake or Kipling can make it better now.  I've lost track of the last thirteen years and the time it's taken for people to catch on.  I'm tired of asking questions that only result in a coalition government.

This coalition govt we have was engineered.  The economic crisis was engineered.  Our society is still being engineered.  Pharmaceutical companies dictate our health and 'global warming' dictates our monthly gas/electricity bills.  The 'war' on drugs is engineered. Wars are engineered.

Taxation is heaped on regulation and we live in fear of the unknown; we live in fear of each other.  In the search for freedom of the individual we're controlled and limited in what we may or may not know.  Re-writing history is the equivalent of book-burning and lobbyists are only the tip of an iceberg.

I'm taking a break for a day or two because I can't bear it any more.  You must know that we're being lied to?



Vivaldi's Gloria, Blake's illustrations and one of my favourite poems:
It's no go the merrygoround, it's no go the rickshaw,
All we want is a limousine and a ticket for the peepshow.
Their knickers are made of crêpe-de-chine, their shoes are made of python,
Their halls are lined with tiger rugs and their walls with heads of bison.


John MacDonald found a corpse, put it under the sofa,
Waited till it came to life and hit it with a poker,
Sold its eyes for souvenirs, sold its blood for whiskey,
Kept its bones for dumb-bells to use when he was fifty.


It's no go the Yogi-Man, it's no go Blavatsky,
All we want is a bank balance and a bit of skirt in a taxi.


Annie MacDougall went to milk, caught her foot in the heather,
Woke to hear a dance record playing of Old Vienna.
It's no go your maidenheads, it's no go your culture,
All we want is a Dunlop tyre and the devil mend the puncture.


The Laird o' Phelps spent Hogmanay declaring he was sober,
Counted his feet to prove the fact and found he had one foot over.
Mrs Carmichael had her fifth, looked at the job with repulsion,
Said to the midwife 'Take it away; I'm through with overproduction'.


It's no go the gossip column, it's no go the Ceilidh,
All we want is a mother's help and a sugar-stick for the baby.


Willie Murray cut his thumb, couldn't count the damage,
Took the hide of an Ayrshire cow and used it for a bandage.
His brother caught three hundred cran when the seas were lavish,
Threw the bleeders back in the sea and went upon the parish.


It's no go the Herring Board, it's no go the Bible,
All we want is a packet of fags when our hands are idle.


It's no go the picture palace, it's no go the stadium,
It's no go the country cot with a pot of pink geraniums,
It's no go the Government grants, it's no go the elections,
Sit on your arse for fifty years and hang your hat on a pension.


It's no go my honey love, it's no go my poppet;
Work your hands from day to day, the winds will blow the profit.
The glass is falling hour by hour, the glass will fall for ever,
But if you break the bloody glass you won't hold up the weather.
'Bagpipe Music' by Louis MacNeice, 1907 - 1963.

10 comments:

  1. I can't say I blame you one little bit, GV, it's been painfully obvious recently that we are still being manipulated and lied to. Not much has changed - not much at all. Cameron is a Lefty snake in a Tory disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm beginning to realise what BS says is right GV.

    Go and have a rest for a wee while. Stick your feet up with a good book or whatever helps you escape from this crazy world for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your rest GV - pleased the penny has finally dropped re Cameron and the Coalition.

    Look forward to your return, suitably refreshed one hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say we re-energise GV by voting for him in the Total Politics blog awards http://tinyurl.com/34t9gla

    Never give up GV - we need your voice. Fight and never surrender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The situations around us are sickening and sometimes, it's inevitable that we would feel weary. But, I believe a little rest would do good and you'll come back refreshed and renewed to put up the fight again. Though, we're being lied to. Sooner or later, the truth will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent blog.

    Fancy the content I have seen so far and I am your regular reader of your blog.

    I follow your blog and I like your way of posting.

    I am very much interested in adding http://callingengland.blogspot.com/ in my blog http://nasa-satellites.blogspot.com/ .

    I am pleased to see my blog in your blog list.

    I would like to know whether you are interested in adding my blog in your blog list.

    Hope to see a positive reply.

    Thanks for visiting my blog as well !

    Waiting for your reply friend !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJuly 07, 2010

    Problem solved GV. It was firefox. BTW the berrys were fab. Hope you come back refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your rest GV, the cynicism about the direction this once great country is heading is felt by us all, so don't feel to alone. Although its troubling to imagine what it will take to draw the masses from their current hibernation or 'head in the sand' syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ all

    Cynicism is a destructive force and I can't cope with it any more. What it comes down to is you, me, individuals, protesting against the excesses of the state.

    Months ago I posted about the dangers of consensus politics and lo! and behold, what do we have but a coalition govt. I think I'll stick to music and poetry from now on :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails