"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Wednesday, 25 August 2010

Condell: Choosing To Be Offended

He says it all really:



We all have our own ways of dealing with people who offend us and the way we deal with it depends on the depth of our offence. I tend to register offence caused to me by raising an eyebrow, or maybe two, eyes wide open, dropped lower jaw and the word, "What?" But I have to admit, it doesn't happen often - each to his own and all that.

Like beauty and racism, offence is in the eye of the beholder and that's why it's impossible to legislate for hurt sensibilities. It's a truly dystopian concept that can only come from an authoritarian regime. I'm looking forward, and quite excited, to be coming home to England but I'm not looking forward to having to police my words and jokes. I'm misunderstood enough as it is :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails