"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Monday, 9 August 2010

Once More With Feeling

I've just 'phoned home' and life keeps getting better and better so I thought about Barenboim playing Beethoven's Funeral March.

Instead, this is for all of us - I've posted it before and, no doubt, I'll post it again, again and again until people get off their backsides and make a decision.  The EU won't go away unless we make it go away.  Even this video has been censored recently (the first at 0:23 -0:29).



When they poured across the border
I was cautioned to surrender,
this I could not do;
I took my gun and vanished.

I have changed my name so often,
I've lost my wife and children
but I have many friends,
and some of them are with me.

An old woman gave us shelter,
kept us hidden in the garret,
then the soldiers came;
she died without a whisper.

There were three of us this morning
I'm the only one this evening
but I must go on;
the frontiers are my prison.

Oh, the wind, the wind is blowing,
through the graves the wind is blowing,
freedom soon will come;
then we'll come from the shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails