"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Sunday, 10 October 2010

Halal Or Not Halal?

Nobody seems to know the answer and that prompts me to think that EU labelling laws due to be brought in at great cost to taxpayers next year will be just as meaningless as any other method.  After posting the Sunday round-up I always try to go back and check the links are working so I duly went back to this morning's McDonald's story and also read the comments.

I have to be honest and say that I approach this from the perspective of someone who was a strict vegetarian for twelve/fourteen years in the 70s/80s on what I considered to be moral grounds, ie eating other sentient beings wasn't good for my soul.  The way of the world overtook me and when I found myself cooking three different main courses for dinner I caved in and began eating fish.  (I was promptly sick as the proverbial pig for two days but recovered and went on to re-discover the delights of crab, prawns, lobsters and a tender & garlicky fillet steak with lashings of mushroom and onion gravy).

Back to the present: some branches of Islam say that pre-stunning animals make the meat 'haram' (forbidden); others say it's 'halal' (allowed).  Little wonder that UK regulations to prevent animal cruelty, touted as the toughest in the EU, have so many loopholes.

I don't want to put you off your dinner ... but... we must think more carefully about what we buy and what we eat.  I haven't changed the titles of the following videos, which were given to them by their makers.  Please note that the first edict says, "If the animal recovers and returns to its natural state after having been stunned... it is halal  (lawful) to consume it."

We should understand that Islam permits only light stunning before an animal's throat is cut - it's still able to feel pain.  In western slaughter-houses an animal is strapped into a container which rotates it through 180deg after it's neck has been cut, yet according to the video below, this mechanisation renders it 'haram'.  "The automatic slaughtering machine is not approved Islamically."



Religious slaughter



Chopping off camels heads
Dog hung and tortured in South Korea
Cats killed for food

In case you think we in the West have the high ground on animal welfare, look at this:
Plucked alive
Dog fighting is animal abuse

I think I'll go back to my childish instinct: back to the day when two freckled & ginger-headed brothers stole Flossie, my big, beautiful, white rabbit.  Have I eaten rabbit since?  HIF.  Will I eat meat again?  Yes, I've got a feast of fillet steak on the menu for next week as a last goodbye & thanks for the memories.  I can't promise to say goodbye to the Lobster Americaine though, after all, I'm nothing but a boiled frog myself.

In case you think my tears are reserved for animals - no, my hormones are playing up so much at the moment that I even cry when I hear the name 'Miliband'.  This sort of article doesn't help me cut down on my Kleenex bills either.  I can't bear it.  I just want to live in my own small world inside my mind where people are good and cause no harm; I've had enough of the ways of the world to last me a lifetime.

Why the West is coming to Islam?
And people wonder why this religion is growing? This shit nonsense is being spouted all over the world.

It's time to consider what we've done to each other, and what we've done to animals.
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created.
Someone seriously f*cked up when they interpreted the word "dominion".

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it strange how with meat, some of the most "primitive" (as per the MSM luvvie definition) tribes and peoples of this world can stun and kill almost entirely free-range animals within a second or two? I watched a piece of film once of some such individual from some such people (may have been Greenland). He had an animal close by (can't remember which, sorry), stroked it, contented it, and with one quick blow to the head it fell stone dead. Having lead a relatively free life eating natural food and moving about as a wild animal would.

    But then again, these were a strictly not-for-profit sort of a people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good life and as good as any way to go, CS - certainly better than any slaughterhouse. As you say, no pressure to pile them in and rush them through all in the name of cheap food and fat profits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will le FeyOctober 12, 2010

    They should make everything halal, so the righties just starve themselves. Or make oxygen halal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate religion it does nothing for animals ,children, women or the poor. All the good changes that have been made in animal care are going backwrds with halal/kosher and factory farming. I do not eat meat anymore after watching and reading information on the internet. All this is hidden by the MSM and corporations , cheap meat is the only aim , no matter the cost to the animals. This push to eat so much meat is unnatural and i think there is a hidden agenda behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, AG. Yes, animal welfare is going backwards - look at the so-called 'super farm' at Nocton.

    http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/business/business-news/nocton-prepares-to-resubmit-%E2%80%98super-dairy%E2%80%99-plans/33541.article

    I think the root cause is globalisation which has caused more problems for ordinary people than it has solved.

    @ Will le Fey - very amusing & constructive comment.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails