"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Thursday, 7 October 2010

A 'Hub' For MPs At Brussels

The vice-president of the European Parliament, Silvana Koch-Merrin, has called for enhanced co-operation between MPs and MEPs, initially through greater use of video-conferencing:

"MEPs should be proactive in helping MPs to understand what is at stake, develop personal relationships with MPs and reduce the occasional doubts or questions that MPs have towards the European Parliament"

At first sight she seems to have a reasonable point; it's only right that MPs should know more about the legislation they're so cavalier about nodding through at Westminster.  On the other hand, it will do one of two things: it will either suck MPs further into the Brussels web or it will bring MEPs into Westminster - and both those things I can live without.

She talks about 'national assemblies and committees'.  Where does that leave England?

Europe House in Smith Sq, which the Conservative Party sold, via intermediary Harcourt Developments, to the EU for £30.5m.

Last night the Tories were not disclosing the name of the European developers as the party said it had only exchanged contracts

Pull the other one.

Tanks on our lawn

4 comments:

  1. It's meant to be propaganda headquarters! Coupled with the 10million euro contract for the AFP news agency which will be broadcasting EU news in 6 difference languages.

    I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting ready for the possibility of a referendum if things get too chaotic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It already is propaganda hq, Sue :-) They've got everything - tv stations, internet sites, film companies, pr companies - no shortage and still our own politicians insist that membership isn't an issue in the country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The money that is being spent on publicity and propaganda is obscene. I'm so glad I didn't vote Conservative, I would be kicking myself now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm ashamed of myself. I had a standing proxy despite blogging here that they were going to be useless and there'd be no honeymoon for them :( I should have cancelled it - next time it's either UKIP or BNP for me.

    I just detest being lied to - and that's what it's been all along: one huge, big, fat lie. Smith Square is just another insult.

    I understand they were previously interested in another property but the vendor stipulated that the EU flag couldn't be flown. I wish I knew his name - I'd send him a letter of congratulations and include him in my Will.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails