"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Sunday, 10 October 2010

A Nation Once Again

The song 'A Nation Once Again' by The Croppers, is apparently fine for Ireland on YouTube, but it's not good enough to be adapted for England. Enjoy the irony.

I'm a Unionist but you can't blame the Scots, Irish or Welsh Nationalists for wanting to keep their own identity and songs but why blame English Nationalists? Why are the English the only people to be denied an Assembly or Parliament within EU rule?

It seems to me that we English either fight against the dissolution of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland or we give in to a totalitarianism which says we can't have our own flag.

English National Songs

A year ago Elgar's music was free for all on YouTube but now you can't find some of it for love or money.

Anything official to do with England is called trite & ignored these days but perhaps we could have something else to describe what the English are? We have a standard to live up to and we English need a renewed voice - this video is 70yrs old but, after everything, it isn't good enough now:



If tptb think we'll forget what England means, they should think again.

6 comments:

  1. What about Scotland, Wales and Ireland during the War?

    Were we not there?

    Why was there no tune "Always be a Scotland?"

    The English have always assumed that Britain and England were interchangeable. Now that they are coming round to understand that they are not, despite the best efforts of the BBC and the combined efforts of the unionist parties and press they have a difficulty of expressing who they are.

    This suits the powers that be because if the English ever could assert a true separate identity, it would give wind to the sails of the Scot Nats and would certainly advance the cause of the break of the Union.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grow up, Bugger, I thought it was implicit in the context of the post. Of course you were there, and so were the N Irish and the Welsh but you stand your corner so why not the English?

    I'm a Unionist - stronger together than apart but we have to face facts. Someone has devolved power already and England has no representation whatsoever.

    Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland assemblies are last on my hitlist - first is our govt and the eu.

    Oh, and don't forget Salmond, oily, fat sleekit git.

    How nice it must be to see Burns translated into Robert or Robbie Burns by Google. You should be kicking up a storm yourself.

    My uncle is spinning somewhere he called 'over the rainbow.' I can't remember where he was buried - something to do with Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse and the Paras of WWII.

    Brigadoon?

    PS fwiw, my father was at El Alamein and then slogged up through Italy and France. Is that English enough for you?

    My problem is with the EU - not an argumentative panda of Scottish heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed a kerfuffle in the Telegraph about them playing the 'wrong' anthem for Englands victors at the Commonwealth Games, Jerusalem rather than Land Of hope And Glory.

    GV, my dad was in the Navy supporting you throughout the Med.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Father was in France at the fall. He was in the RAF as a volunteer and lied about his age. he was 16.

    He also served in W. Africa and contracted Black Water Fever.

    Kindly re-read my post old GV and see that I am actually on your side. There must be some Celtic genes in your make up.

    The Union has served its purpose like a marriage that has gone wrong.

    Like it or not, we are going our own ways.

    Good luck a ton chemin.

    You do rise so predictably.

    Some day we should meet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'm terrible, Bugger. I suspect that once I'm home I won't be so defensive because I'll be closer to the ground and not stuck behind this keyboard. Sorry.

    I missed that, Banned. I thought there was an online poll to decide the anthem for the CG and the majority had voted for Jerusalem?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails