"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Friday, 12 November 2010

Encountering Turbulence

So said the pilot some twenty minutes out of Gatwick, and he wasn't wrong. There was even a spontaneous outbreak of applause from some passengers when the plane landed  wheel-side down, wings more or less aligned and engines attached as the manufacturer intended.

As I stared out of the window the tilting and swooping only registered with me insofar as each angle gave me a different view of the patchworked hedgerows and fields.

I travelled among unknown men,
In lands beyond the sea;
Nor, England! did I know till then
What love I bore to thee.

'Tis past, that melancholy dream!
Nor will I quit thy shore
A second time; for still I seem
To love thee more and more.

2 comments:

  1. Should I say welcome home? Problem is the kids have rather wrecked the place with a wild party and millions of uninvited guests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please do, OR. England is England no matter what the kids get up to or the number of gate-crashers. Eventually the kids will calm down and the gate-crashers will leave. I detect a lot of hope and fightback in the old homestead :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails