"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Saturday, 13 November 2010

Musings

I woke up this morning and wondered if I was becoming an anarchist in libertarian clothing and, if so, do labels matter anyway?  I don't think I am and I don't think they do; I'm just someone who is heartily ticked off with the way things are still going politically.   If I could overthrow the current system and replace it I would but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm an anarchist, at least not as I've always understood the term.

It was all triggered by my continuing dejection at the state of politics, not just nationally but globally.  I've probably said before that when I think of the relationship between the state and the individual I feel like a mediaeval serf in a BBC kiddies' costume drama at Sunday tea-time.   The only difference now is that the remote King has been replaced by government, the black-clad robber barons by Parliament, the one-eyed, pox-ridden evil henchmen by the Civil Service Common Purpose placemen and the fawning hangers-on who hope to receive some largesse or dispensation from the 'King' are in local government, quangos & lobby/pressure groups.   Oh!  And I no longer have a pig for the state to steal - I'm all pigged out, in fact I'm so bereft of pigs that when my tithe is next due I cannot pay - the pigs have finally flown.

When government doesn't listen to the people who vote them into office or when they renege on electioneering promises and continue in their profligate spending of taxpayer's tithes it's time for change.  It's obviously not good enough to vote for different faces and suits because we did that back in May and look where we are now.

To continue with the mediaeval theme (yes, I must) it's as though the local robber baron has placed a watchman in every village to count our comings and goings, note who we talk with and tag our pigs.  In fact, if the King gets his way, all our pigs will be sent directly to him when they're born and he will send back what he thinks we're entitled to keep.  All costs incurred in the maintenance of the scheme will be charged to us.

Look at our Law Courts to see the discrepancies in sentencing from Judge to Judge and also ask yourself why theft from the state has always attracted tougher punishment than crime against a person. Look at our corporate-owned media and tell me who has a vested interest or who is pulling strings.

I've rambled enough but I'm sure you catch my drift.  One final point is that today's politicians talk constantly about egalitarianism & equality, but for whom?  Not for them, that's for sure.  Today's so-called 'classless' society where everyone 'enjoys' the same rights and is, so we're told, subject to the same rules (blatantly untrue in practice) is a fore-runner, a tester, of a society based on the power and privilege of a few and the subservience of the many.

A Saint agrees with me: "What are states without justice but robber bands enlarged?"

4 comments:

  1. I've reached the same place as you, GV and I believe we are now at a point where something drastic has to happen before anything changes..... and it won't be pretty when it does kick off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Spidey, I think many of us are in this place but we're just a handful of bloggers who've reached a crossroad. I want to see for myself what local action groups there are around here but not too hopeful - I'm in a place that protested vociferously against a pound shop opening in the High St because it 'lowered property values'. I doubt I'll find many revolutionaries around here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GV,

    I wouldn't worry too much about libertarianism versus anarchism. To me, they both travel the same road, it's just that the former keeps going a little bit further. It would be nice to get to the point where libertarians and anarchists part company, as this would mean the state had already shrunk to a minimal size and we were only arguing about the last few bits and pieces. I recommend Hans-Hermann Hoppe's 'Democracy: The God That Failed'. I have it here, but I haven't read it yet, due to my propensity to accumulate books faster than I can read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "it's just that the former keeps going a little bit further".

    Sorry, I meant the latter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails