"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Monday, 15 November 2010

Silent Cattle Calling

While I was tied up abroad I watched with dismay as bloggers, most of whom I'd read long before I attempted my own blog, disappeared one by one.  Whether they left through disillusion, blogging fatigue or, more recently, because Cameron won the election (unlikely as it sounds, not all blogs are what they seem), I don't know.

Now that I've had a few days to settle and look around I can see that rather than weakening this part of the blogosphere, it's actually growing stronger and more focused.

The only upside of being a stray astray has been having the time to reflect and form an independent overview of what's happening inside the eye of the storm that is Great Britain. I've read the angry, the illiterate, the patient, the unhappy, the hopeful and the downright misinformed; I've read online newspapers I wouldn't dream of spending money on to buy a print copy, and I've read the flaky, the conspiratorial, the sky-is-falling-jews-did-it blogs that I would never have encountered in another life. And I've sat back and rubbed my eyes and wondered how the hell it will all end.

I was struck by a comment made by someone I added to my blogroll over the weekend.  I can't find it now but I think it was Nomine who likened it to shaking leaves from a tree - the leaves fall one by one but they are replaced and the tree continues to grow.  An intelligent and poetic comment - what more could one ask?
"When ancient opinions and rules of life are taken away, the loss cannot possibly be estimated ... Because half a dozen grasshoppers under a fern make the field ring with their importunate chink, whilst thousands of great cattle, reposed beneath the shadow of the British oak, chew the cud and are silent, pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field..."
With thanks to Dan Hannan for pointing me towards Edmund Burke, 1729-1797
I guess we'll just keep silently chewing the cud until the time is right to stretch our legs in the sunlight. It's either that or we're in for one heck of a milking - and both ways will hurt.

6 comments:

  1. "the angry, the illiterate, the patient, the hopeful and the downright misinformed"

    I think that covers pretty much all of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Yes, I've been on an inclusivity training course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn!

    TT beat me to it.

    I was going to say that that line described me to a "T".

    Yon Nomine is a bright spark. Keep watching. He produces excellent stuff.

    I wonder how YOUR blogging will change GV, now that you are suffering first hand?

    It will be interesting to see how/why/if you change.

    CR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to the state I've been an anarchist for many years, CR, so don't expect much to change on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear!

    I'm a terrorist now. According to the Americans.

    Marvellous.

    CR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, CR, you're a terrorist because anyone who opposes the new regime is a terrorist or anarchist. It was only a matter of time.
    Whoah! head rush going on, but not much :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails