"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Saturday, 4 December 2010

Our Governance

Yes, I know I keep banging on about it, but I feel I have just cause.

The latest to be reported in the press is that the House of Lords will be abolished and a fully elected Senate introduced in its place, just as the HoL Law Lords have been replaced by a 'Supreme Court'. The figures & rhetoric add up nicely: freeloaders against elected representatives; costs down to £180m pa. Who can object?

Jack Straw introduced this. Even if I knew nothing else, that name would be enough to ring alarm bells. We must have a referendum on constitutional issues and I'm dismayed at the number of people who think that the House of Lords can be abolished without replacement. Why don't they realise that pre-1997 the House of Lords was hereditary and bound to no man or political party? The HoL gave knowledgeable and detailed oversight of HoC laws but everybody seems to be in a hurry to throw away traditions which have worked fairly well for more than a thousand years in favour of untried continental and American ones. We're not the same people. We have a thousand years of history and English Common Law - I don't give tuppence for their britches and stockings but I do care for the law of the land.

Any change to our Constitution must have a referendum. I'm 'totally tired' of it all - this nonsense that we don't have a Constitution, of course we do. The fact that it isn't codified is neither here nor there. We have one and we know it. They know it and hope we don't know it.

Who, in the msm, is going to volunteer to speak truth to power? Nick Robinson? Adam Boulton? Andrew Marr? I've laughed my socks off at the thought of it - even Andrew Neil is becoming a rallying point for dissent. I like Andrew Neil but he's become the BBC's token whipping boy - someone to deflect accusations of bias.

I hesitated about posting this video as a Sunday Reflection simply because, even to me, the words, the tune and iconography seem out of place and it would take explanation. I've been indoctrinated over the years to believe that only football hooligans wave the Cross of St. George. No more. My flag, my country, my life, my call. Believe me, we English are worth more than a night at the Proms and a re-written history.

3 comments:

  1. "We have one and we know it. They know it and hope we don't know it."

    I hear you, man. It's the truth. I'd rather have all the hereditaries back and fuck all the fur-coat-no-knicker labour scum. They just bring down the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point on the HoL.

    Heredity meant only those born form this land's 'trusted' families (although trust is as elasticated as a fat man's tracksuit bottoms nowadays) who would veto most legislation that went against the Nation... who wouldn't if vast tracts of your land were given draconian laws.

    All that equality bullcrap put an end to any sensible debate on this, and so like the HoC, the HoL will become nothing more than another political sphere where influence is bought and sold.

    How the mighty fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, Trooper but it's too late now. The fact that Straw is one of the leading lights pushing this through is a bloody insult to us all.

    I fear you're right Jack - elected or not they'll find a way, you only have to take a look at our current elected 'representatives' to see how this will go. Progressive and modern my @rse.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails