"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Saturday, 8 January 2011

Oh Boy!

I have a problem above and beyond my own.   Since coming home in a bucket from Spain I'm currently being put up (with) by family until I find somewhere more permanent.

Someone, somewhere within my hearing has a small child who cries pitifully and sometimes screams.   I open the front door to the communal area but the sound goes away.  I open my window to the garden and the sound also goes away.

I hear him day after day now.  I  heard the poor thing scream for hours yesterday.  I hear the mother who shouts and screams and, tonight, a man who shouts at the mother.

I can hear him now - he's moaning as he falls asleep.  If I knew where they lived I might be able to offer something constructive, like baby-sittiing - I know it seems vacuous but anything to help.

Question:  How can I alert the NSPCC or police in these circumstances?  Something's wrong within my earshot but I don't know where it's happening.

6 comments:

  1. When you begin to hear voices in your head.....

    Seriously, you desperately need to move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quick and rich Mr W :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ""How can I alert the NSPCC or police in these circumstances?""

    Dont.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bucko, I know what you say about the NSPCC and the police but I can't bear the sound of a child crying. Beyond knocking on doors and asking where the crying comes from I don't know what to do. A few Eastern Europeans have just hit the entryphone so I think I'll just step in with two left feet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-) Thank you Mr W. I'll be in touch. It was very noisy last night - someone had a late-night party but the revellers didn't know which flat so banged all the buzzers and generally caused mayhem in the hallway. Maybe I'm just getting old :-(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails