"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Friday, 4 March 2011

Banging Heads Together

I don't normally go for this sort of 'heavy metal' music but it's the best rendition of the European Union Anthem that I've heard since the Muppets:



Never has such beautiful music been so subverted:


Note that this version (a 1948 NBC production with Toscanini as the Conductor) has a musical introduction by Wagner:


I want my Beethoven's 9th back. I want Wagner back - and Mahler. I want my music back, without political interference, without handouts & without quangos.

4 comments:

  1. I think I'll spend my w/end ommmm-ing, CR, but doubt it will get me very far when I confront reality :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye. Reality bites like a rabid wolf sometimes...

    CR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! So it's rabies all round then.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails