"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Saturday, 19 March 2011

Hmmm

I know I'll come across as a miserly grouch for saying this but ... I object to the government giving £10m taxpayers' money to Comic Relief.

I thought one plank of the government's Big Society philosphy was that people should become more involved in voluntary and charity work and the British public have never been slow in coming forward to donate to charities and appeal funds.  Whether it's Comic Relief, Live Aid, Sports Aid, Band Aid, Tsunami Aid or Wildlife Aid,  the Brits have always given generously of their own accord.
International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell said: "Even in these tough economic times, the British public has given an incredible response to Comic Relief's appeal, showing yet again their compassion and generosity.
"In response to this, the Government will provide extra support on taxpayers' behalf. The Government will come in behind the public's effort, to support and amplify the choices that British people have made.
"The extra support will mean Comic Relief can double their efforts in health and education so more children go to school and get a quality education, and more people have access to life-saving medicine and treatment." 
It would be good to see more children in this country receive a quality education and I welcome the day people aren't denied treatment by the NHS because of the prohibitive cost of life-saving drugs.

We either let the government continue to tax us to the hilt and enlarge the DfID budget to give on our behalf while we support only the small, local charities or the government can reduce taxation so we have more in our pockets to give as we choose.  In any event, who's to say that the government's choice of a worthy cause is the same as mine?  Many charities in the UK are funded by the government in this way and it's wrong.

I also didn't like seeing Cameron and Brown on CR last night.  It's a trend set by Blair in an effort, I suppose, to 'get down with the people' and seem more in touch.  I think they should just butt out - slebs, politicians, and charitable donations just don't mix.  The sight of Brown 'rapping' with JLS (?) had a worse effect on me than eating cheese before bedtime.

As our American friends like to say: it's time to stop drinking the Kool Aid.

7 comments:

  1. Never ever watch the crap.
    Never ever contributed an effing penny to 'the cause'.
    I don't need to because the egotists in government hand cash they steal from my income anyway.

    How many SLK's can you get for £10 million?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, must dig my red nose out of the back of the wardrobe.

    I just wish that if the Bonos of the world are so concerned with keeping the tinpot dictators in bazookas, just let them give all of their 'hard worked for' wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite agree GV! As I have said previously, I am very sorry for the starving in Africa and elsewhere, but surely we as a nation should put our own house in order before seeking to help those further afield.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no reason for starvation in the world, or medical deficiencies. What with food mountains, fish discards, farmers being paid to not grow crops, £billions wasted on wars, weapons and space programs and the like. Not to mention Big Pharma and banker greed there is more than enough resources for all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ William - I have to confess I cheated - I watched Brown & Cameron on iPlayer so I could skip bits. I've given in the past but now see it as just so much emotional manipulation that I've stopped and haven't watched it for the past ten years or so.

    @ BJ Yes, I've often wondered about Geldof and Bono (Annie Lennox is another one). I'll never forget the sight of Geldof shouting "Give us your f*cking money" into a camera.

    @ MrW - It seems I'm not as miserly & grouchy as I first thought! In order to help someone else effectively you need to be in rude health yourself - and the UK isn't at the moment.

    @ Anon - all good points I agree with - thanks for contributing, even though you are 'anon'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Hookie, I didn't spot you there. There seem to be more of us thinking the same things about CR than I thought.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails