"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Thursday, 17 March 2011

It's A Fine Life?

I haven't said much about being back in England apart from my initial euphoria as the plane held its own through the storm clouds at Gatwick last November.   It was good though, and I was quite teary to see the fields that only England makes - the hedgerows teeming with life and the woodland unchanged over centuries; the isolated coppices and  hilltop Oaks.  Yes, I really did fly into Gatwick.

If you've been reading this blog for any time you'll know that until I find a place of my own I'm living in someone else's house - well, two someones actually; someones I provided for and sheltered for 23+yrs of their lives.  I'm very grateful to them and I wish I could say it was a barrel of beans but it isn't

I know it's difficult.  I know that I, Jazz & Suki are an imposition (Bobo remains buried in the garden in Spain - I didn't dig her up and cremate her so she'd fit in my hand luggage) but, still, there has to be room in life for small pleasures and idiosyncrasies, otherwise I may as well have stayed in Spain, gone insane and bankrupt yet enjoyed the friends, the outdoor life and the sunshine while I had it.

Generally I find that there's no leeway, no give and take, here in London.  Perhaps that's one of the hallmarks of being a Londoner.  It's the 'tough sh!t - if you don't like it, b*gger off' & get out of my way' sort of thing.  It doesn't help.

I read the papers and see this attitude spreading and changing the country I love and it's a change for the worst.  The day I thought about blogging & the day I thought about buying a defensive weapon  were milestone days for me.


4 comments:

  1. London died as a nice place to live after Labour got hold of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 33% of immigrants live in London - I wonder if that's got anything to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has everything to do with it. Back in the day.... wherever you lived in London, it was a community. Now it's not. It's a place where people don't even acknowledge you exist. When I lived in Newham as a child, I was surrounded by family and friends.

    I suppose that's one of the nice things about Spain. Communities still exist here and as long as you make an effort, it's easy to become part of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I found that too, Sue. Maybe it's because the pace of life is slower and people have more time to pick the daisies. I found the Spanish people very friendly and open. London's too crowded and people seem closed in. Shame - it used to be a wonderful City.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails