"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Monday, 7 March 2011

The Liberal Left

In my youth I subscribed to the New Statesman and the Economist - just because I wanted to know what both sides had to say for themselves and what was going on in the world.  I wanted to make, what's called today, 'an informed opinion'.  I should have saved my money -  I doubt their editorials were very much different from today.

I no longer read The Economist or the New Statesman but I do hear an awful lot from Mehdi Hasan, editor of the latter and poster-boy of the Liberal Left.

"Non-Muslims live like animals":


"The kuffir, the disbelievers, the atheists who remain deaf and stubborn to Islam, the rational message of the Koran, they are described in the Koran as, quote, a people of no intelligence; Allah describes them as not of no morality, not as people of no belief - people of no intelligence - because they're incapable of the intellectual effort it requires to shake off those blind prejudices, to shake off those easy assumptions about this world, about the existence of God. In this respect, the Koran describes the atheists as cattle, as cattle of those who grow the crops and do not stop and wonder about this world."
I wonder whether he's been taken out of context and whether a 'clarification' is needed.

UPDATE:  Dammit!  I don't know whether I'm behind the times or ahead of it - I've just switched on to the Daily Politics  BBC iPlayer and found that Hasan was on the programme today:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails