"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Shadows Of The Evening

I don't know why but I have to get this off my chest too. Why does this video have US iconography when it's the hymn my grandather hummed to rock me to sleep and the tune I've sang to my own boys. I never heard him speak one word. He came back from the 'Great War', the 'War to end all Wars', and never spoke another word:

4 comments:

  1. "Why does this video have US iconography?"

    Probably, because it was included on Michael Crawford's successful album of hymns... On Eagles' Wings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this was the only recognisable tune I knew Hookie - all the English tunes were different - perhaps they were 'progresive, post-modern and post-democratic'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, CE - that was quite lovely, whatever the iconography.

    It evoked so many memories and really brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's one I haven't heard for many years too, Opsimath. Modern churches seem to prefer a different tune :-( Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails