"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Friday, 6 May 2011

TFIF

The referendum on changing the voting system didn't set the country buzzing in anticipation; the only people who 'buzzed' were the LibDems. The split looks likely to be 70% against and 30% for so it's pretty much a non-event except insofar as it affects Clegg.

Here are a few comments seen in the papers:

My wife is a Polish national ... she couldn’t vote on AV because she is a EU national.
Duh!
I went to the polls thinking my voice was going to count in the matter, only to discover I was only allowed to vote in regional elections as I am a Dutch national.
See above.
My wife is Japanese, lived in the UK for 15 years or so, has a NI number and paid NI contributions + Income Tax for the last 12 years.
See above.
Tell me about it! I have been living here since 1993 and I never got the chance to vote for AV. I was sure that I could by this stage. Did I do something wrong?
See above + yes, YOU'RE NOT BRITISH.
So the only region where over half the electorate even bothered is Scotland, what a great advert for the british electoral system that is!
'British' has a capital 'B' smartarse and the reason the Scots went out and voted in such numbers is because they were voting for the Scottish parliament.

So,'viola' as they frequently write in a certain newspaper, that's that except to say that I wish people weren't so easily led by the media. There have been a few online ding-dongs today about 'Scots scroungers', 'English thieves', that sort of thing. Constitutional matters as grave as the break-up of the United Kingdom deserve more rational thought and I wish people would stop and think. Politicians and the media really should have addressed the West Lothian Question before now and seriously taken on board what the English consider to be an anomaly in our Constitution.  In fact, it's more than an anomaly, it's a fr@gging insult.

Reasons to be thankful it's Friday:
Jews receive apology for Spanish Inquisition
Osama memorabilia on sale
Make mine an Oldman
It's 'Love Your Lawn Week'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails