"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Thursday, 14 July 2011

What Is "Materialistic"?

Yet another cold is upon me; I'm as weedy as an allotment that hasn't been tended for many years - full of weeds, sitting in a weedy patch, feeling weedy.

As I was idly flicking through the upsdowns, downs  and downs  of our day, I began to hanker for something better than politics & Vick's Vapor-Rub.  And nothing quite beats politics or a cold like 22ct gold.  There's a correlation there, I know, but I'll leave it to the likes of the NotW to investigate...whoops!

All my jewellery was sold two years ago and I want to replace it. Most of it is irreplaceable and I'll never get over the guilt or shame, no matter that some are long gone. Jewellery has a time and a place, just like an engagement ring and a wedding band; it pins you in an era; it brings back music and sandy coves, living rooms and rheumy eyes. Those won't be replaced but I do like beauty as an intrinsic value, whether it's architecture, a piece of music, or prose, and I'd like to start again.  I think that everyone should own something beautiful, something that has a value greater than its price.  Something, anything, that we can touch on.

So, what do you think? Materialistic or beauty?


UPDATE: Too late, I already bought them. I don't know where or when I'll wear them but I think they're beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails