"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Thursday, 20 October 2011

Thought For The Day

Can anyone out there enlighten me, please? The thought that's going round in my head, and to which I have no answer, is this:

If, and I know it's a very big 'if', there should be a referendum on Britain's relationship with the EU, who will be allowed to vote?

Citizens from other EU member states who live in Britain are allowed to vote in EU and local elections, but not our General Elections. Will they also be allowed to vote in any in/out/shakeitallabout referendum?

If so, this would not only skew the results but be completely at odds with current policy for a Scottish Independence referendum for Scots only which precludes the Welsh, English and Northern Irish having a voice.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but it's best to be prepared. Any thoughts?


6 comments:

  1. A tricky question, GV. I'm sure EU citizens would get a say. Some 500,000 European coach firms would benefit as all 55 seaters would cross the Channel over the weeks leading up to the ballot. Mostly Romanian and Bulgarian passengers and their kids, paid a fortune to travel.
    However it won't come to that as I have posted the result already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GV, in a Scottish referendum it would not be Scots only but all eligible voters resident in Scotland, which is the same conundrum for Scots as the one you mention above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure this is a concern; the EU is going to unravel, with Germany probably pulling the first thread. But if the UN is anything to go by, no, the Brits will not have a vote, and if they do, it will be overruled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It probably won't come to it, OR but I thought it was an interesting electoral question - and I genuinely don't know the answer to this one.

    Thanks McG, I didn't know that. Has Salmond said anything about it, or is he not bothered?

    Hello Fuzzy. Like you, I'm thinking there's a very slight possibility that the eu might unravel but I don't want to count my chickens. If I did, I'd be shopping around for an AK47 already and firing it randomly into the air while scooting up and down the motorway in a Nissan.

    We know that everything possible is being done, has been done and will be done, to prevent us from having a referendum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't matter who votes. If they don't vote right, they'll just have to do it again until the EU is satisfied!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, OR, long time no see :-) Hope you're well. There are so many obstacles to overcome before we even get to a referendum, let alone a second but, if it did come that, I'd hope the British people would have more backbone than to acquiesce.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails