"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Sunday, 22 April 2012

Post Of The Week

There was so much choice for this one. I've been busily book-marking some excellent posts throughout the week in readiness for a return of Post of the Week, but this one, which I read only this morning, struck a chord in me.

I too have been away, albeit for just five years. I left after RIPA, the CCA and Blair, and came back at the tail-end of Brown fully expecting that the English would be, well, English; that they would be so angered by what had been done that people everywhere would be sticking up two fingers to arbitrary, imposed authority. Tom Paine continues: It's our own fault, damn it
"I used to write enthusiastically in the hope of turning opinion against the politicians attacking civil liberties. I thought they were the problem and could be influenced. My enthusiasm is gone because I no longer blame them. I came back to England to find the country I knew had died. An ignorant, infantilised electorate expects government to act whenever it feels threatened. In the wake of 9/11 and 7/7 the most dangerous mob cry of all went up; 'do something!' "
So true. Do go and read the whole post and, while you're there, tell Tom not to leave us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails