"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Flashback to 1963

Do you remember those days when the Left sold us their Third Way, Communitarian politics?


I loved that song and taunted my parents with it. How ashamed am I now? As the centre-ground shifts I find I'm way out of kilter and so disorientated that I rebound between the Nasty-Nasty Party and the Nasty Party:

Whatever happens, this sentiment will hold true despite the fact that HRH the Duke of Edinburgh and Her Majesty didn't know the words:




We're living in bad times.

4 comments:

  1. Little Boxes... horribly smug as performed by that great Narcissus of song Seeger; but wonderfully reinvented as the theme for radio comedy Robin & Wendy's Wet Weekends (BBC radio 4 extra).
    Recommended!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank (I think). Just what I need, another wet weekend ;)

      Delete
  2. They didn't sell theor 'third way' to me and neither did I buy their 'third sector' which is just Big Government off the books.

    Little Boxes still good though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Banned, third way communitarianism never appealed to me either - one of the reasons I deserted this sceptr'd isle in 2005. Like a coward I hoped it would all be sorted by the time I came back - but it wasn't and it's just getting worse with Cameron and Clegg. The Long March through the Institutions will take a heck of a lot to sort out.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails