"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Monday, 22 April 2013

I Didn't Hear The Question

Where is it now, the glory and the dream?

A fraction of the government's conjured-up £130bn to promote house-buying would be better invested in an open and above-board voluntary repatriation scheme overseen by the Home Office together with support for a private company to track down and deport illegals, no questions asked, no HRA invoked. Our problem is not a shortage of housing, primary school places, hospitals: it's a surplus of immigrants.

When a government considers a crazy policy equivalent to carbon off-set to property developers who will be allowed to build anywhere in England in return for some supposed quid pro quo, you know we have problems. When a government seems intent on implementing the Communications Data Bill, despite overwhelming opposition from civil liberties organisations and ordinary people, you know we have problems. Government can't fix these problems because they caused them.

Since all these policies would be the same no matter whether we had a coalition/conservative/labour government and I see similar policies being carried out in other western countries, I can only assume that the requirement to implement such nutjob policies comes from 'higher up'.

Our economy, and our society, has been comprehensively trashed and I'm not a happy bunny. I'm especially not happy when I see that I have only two options open to me to voice my dissent: riot or vote UKIP. We are too fragmented for the first option and UKIP can only address some of the issues, even supposing they sweep the board at the local council elections.

The damage done to the country in the meantime will only be compounded and the damage already inflicted will be consolidated. I don't recognise the place anymore. I used to think it would be better to be a stranger in a strange land than a stranger in my own but I've spent my time abroad and now that I'm home, I'm not going anywhere. It grieves me so see how England has been brought so low and that the majority continue to vote for these devious toads of governments.

PS I forgot a third option: writing a comment in the Daily Telegraph. Meh!

Intimations of Immortality

There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream, The earth, and every common sight to me did seem apparelled in celestial light: the glory and the freshness of a dream.

It is not now as it hath been of yore; turn wheresoe'er I may, by night or day, the things which I have seen I now can see no more.
The rainbow comes and goes, and lovely is the rose; the moon doth with delight look round her when the heavens are bare;
Waters on a starry night are beautiful and fair; the sunshine is a glorious birth,
But yet I know, where'er I go, that there hath past away a glory from the earth.
Now, while the birds thus sing a joyous song and while the young lambs bound as to the tabor's sound, to me alone there came a thought of grief:
...

Though nothing will bring back the glory of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower,
We will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind;
In the primal sympathy which having been must ever be;
In the soothing thoughts that spring out of human suffering;
In the faith that looks through death,
[In years that bring the philosophic mind]

The last sentence was omitted from Thatcher's funeral service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails