"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Sunday, 28 April 2013

A Wanderer Has Far To Go

Well, it's taken some time but I'm finally moving on Thursday and since I love the English seaside, come rain or shine, I'm probably going to one of the best places available to me.

You won't be hearing from me again until 15 or 16 May because that's how long it's going to take BT to arrange an internet and telephone connection at a pathetic 'guaranteed' 2mg.  No doubt that's a blessing in disguise for you because I'll no longer be able to subject you to those musical ear-worms that grip me occasionally.  I just can't stop singing the last one, Benedictus, and I've no idea why.  I woke up one morning about a week ago and there it was, waiting to send me to groundhog day.  Put the kettle on = the wanderer has far to go; stir the saucepan =humble must he always be; washing up = where the paths of wisdom lead; brushing my teeth = fortune and goodwill will surely follow him.  On and on and on.  Guess what the first piece of music will be when I'm in my new home and I've unpacked the LPs?

Apart from lack of wifi and a telephone the other downside is that I'm rather miffed at missing out on my vote in the local elections.  The Council comprises a fairly equal mix of Conservatives and LibDems, as you'd expect: the news that we are a nation in crisis hasn't yet reached Torbay.

The good news is that the current MP, LibDem Adrian Sanders, has a majority of only 4,000+ - taken from the Conservatives (Rupert Allason) in 1997.  Sanders has a lovely wife, Alison, whom he pays to be his Constituency Secretary and I look forward to making her acquaintance at some point.

[Click to enlarge]



The best news of all (*sarc on*) is that we have a Local Democracy Week when youngsters can go along and be taught about modern governance.

Here's another happy chappie who thinks Localism and the Big Society is a good idea in its present format: Gordon Oliver, Mayor of Torbay.

The worst thing about Torbay?   Torbay takes the Devil's Shilling. It's just another English region of the EU with its hand out-stretched begging to be given back a portion of the money it's already paid in taxes, via VAT, and EU 'contributions'.

I hope you've caught a flavour of the local politics I'm moving into - it's a far cry from London and a totally different political environment.  Work needs to be done.

I may or may not be back here: there's much to do in the house, the first being to get my garden growing - a girl needs to eat more than ginger-nuts after all.  I think I may hit the chickens on the head, metaphorically-speaking, on grounds of space and cost but we'll see; I'm still quite hopeful of  being able to take on three or four rescued battery hens.

Whatever happens to the blog, I thank all of you for commenting, listening, putting up with me and  following over these past few years. A benedictus to you all :)

If you don't find me here, you'll find me HERE.

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet’s wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart’s core.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like a nice place on google Earth. I hope you enjoy it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kid - it is lovely and now I just have to get back into the swing of blogging. I've set up another blog about the move and what I'm doing but I may well combine the two at some point if time is pressing - or if I forget my passwords, or if Google suspend me, as they're threatening to do :(

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails