"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Apologies

I'm sorry for the sparse posting; I'm finding it really difficult down here at the moment with all the work being done and all these damned boxes to unpack and wash after two years in storage. A lifetime's accumulation of saucepans, clothes, cutlery, ornaments, rugs and general detritus needs a thorough clean and that's on top of working in the garden, modifying curtains and hanging mirrors, paintings and so on. It's coming along, as you can see HERE but, my word, it's hard, slow work and I definitely feel a 'Yard Sale' coming on.

I've found time to do something I once swore I would never do and that is: join a Political Party.  I suppose there's no guesses for which one but I did it because I reckon they need the money and they're also the best we have at the moment.  I don't see anyone else in sight.

Once things are more settled here I hope to take a more active part in local politics - because the action is either there or on the street.  Government doesn't listen - it promises the earth but delivers nothing. Manifestos aren't worth the paper they're written on (we all remember THIS)  and, day in, day out, we hear tales of profligate local councils spending local taxpayers money on things they shouldn't via taxpayer-funded credit cards.  Who the heck thought it was a good idea to give Council employees a charge card for which they weren't liable?

We elect these weaselly wastrels time after time because they smile, live locally, have photogenic children and a pretty wife or say what we want to hear but we find that when they're in Office a fair percentage of them are as venal as the previous incumbent and clawing his/her way up to a General Election.  I wish voters would take time to reflect: vote Independent or a smaller Party, anything but the LibLabCon.

It amuses me that the Conservatives, Labour and Liberal Democrats are still referred to by the press and tv as "the three main Parties" when UKIP has consistently out-performed and out-polled the LibDems for almost a year.  It's time the House of Commons felt the wind of change and only we can do it with our votes.

I've stopped posting WHEDFU warnings because everyone knows by now what a malign influence the European Union has over our government, our Parochial Town Council. Cameron and Co are mere Town Clerks: an irritating buzz to be whipped away with a swish of ex-Maoist Barroso's tail.

Where does that leave Bilderberger Osborne? It leaves him having to get a grip, go against the prevailing wind and look back 2068 years:
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt.  People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance."
Cicero , 55 BC
I'd add to that quote that the government must learn to live within its means and not off the back of high taxation taken from the working man and small businesses while, at the same time, introducing punitive legislation on smoking, drinking, food, fuel and homes. In short, it should butt out, leave us to our own devices and stop legislating against everything we do and using our own taxes against us. Governments should have no place in manipulating markets and must let the consumer have a free choice.   I don't elect a government so it can tell me how to live my life; I elect a government that I think will best represent the country and provide its defence.  What a sucker I was and, sadly, my children still are.

It seems like every corporation and his mother has gagging orders and pay-offs in place for disgruntled employees, including our very own Secretary of State Eric Pickles and his Department for Local Communities and Government.  According to Mr Pickles it was a system already in place when he became titular head of the department ('nothing to do with me, guv') and he will 'look into it'.  The NHS; the BBC; our local Councils; our Government - one has to ask where, when and how it will all end.

I know one thing for sure: if we all sit on our butts and do nothing, it won't end.

1 comment:

  1. NewsboyCapJune 19, 2013

    GV Susan

    Brilliant, Just brilliant. If that is to be the quality of posts after moving to glorious Devon, then all the heartache of moving was surely worth it.
    Good to have you back.

    P.S. may I pinch the quote from Cicero for use at my fledgling blog?

    http://thepoliticalprison.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails